13 Pin Trailer Plug Australia Connector Chrome Pins 12V Towbar Towing Caravan Fridge Truck Plug Type Trailer Tow Bar
Most versatile trailer plug in the world. Electric Brakes & 12V Fridge Connection Compatible.
The last decade or so has seen vast advances in vehicle electronics that have made the electrical connections between a vehicle and a trailer increasingly more critical. Currently the safest form of connection available is the 13 pin connector as it is a secure, twist-lock, watertight coupling system requiring little force to install or remove.
For any vehicle/trailer combination it is vital that the electrical connections are securely made, as it is imperative that a vehicle continuously recognises when a trailer is connected. Any vehicle with a combination of the computers listed below needs to always recognise when a trailer is connected even though the vehicles individual computers may not have all of these functions/features in their programming.
13 pin trailer plug - plug side pin layout
- Left hand indicator
- Rear fog light
- Ground for pins 1 to 8
- Right hand indicator
- Right hand taillight and licence plate light
- Brake lights
- Left hand taillight and licence plate light
- Reverse light
- Constant plus (Battery)
- Ignition positive (Charging cable)
- Ground for pin 10
- Brake controller or trailer camera*
- Ground for pin 9
* - if unused bridge to pin 3
Trailer Recognition – when a trailer has been recognised by the vehicle’s Body Computer the Trailer Tell Tale will be enabled with the operation of the turn signals, which is a legal requirement in many jurisdictions. The rear parking aid sensors can be disabled as well as the vehicle’s rear fog and reversing lights in order to eliminate reflected glare from the front of a trailer. The Vehicle Computer can communicate its trailer recognition to the following computers:
- Suspension – at highway speeds automatic changes to ride height can be disabled to reduce the possibility of directional instability in the vehicle/trailer combination.
- Anti-Lock Brakes, Stability and Traction Control – when in motion alternate strategies can be applied to control the dynamics of the vehicle/trailer combination.
- Power Train Control – engine fuelling, throttle response, automatic transmission shift points, enhanced dynamic engine braking, etc. for the vehicle/trailer combination.
- Trailer lighting –turn signals, park and/or brake LEDs on the trailer that were continuously blinking will no longer do so.
In Europe the decision was made to replace the 7 pin 12N and 12S electrical connectors with a single 13 pin connector on models produced from September 2008. For a long time, the 7 pin was the mainstay of towing connections, but in it’s long history, it has been plagued by issues such as pin burnout caused by bad pin contacts/compressed pins, badly fitting plugs, and water damage etc.
Scope of delivery:
- Westfalia 13-Pin Trailer Plug Connector Chrome Pins 12V Towbar VW Audi Mercedes BMW Tow Bar
Australia Towbars & Performance offers diagnostics, installation & coding in Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast QLD & Australia wide
- This fits
Note:There are no notes for this product
NOTE: We strongly recommend profesional installation for our wiring kits. Only qualified companies may install the electrical system for the trailer hitch. Improper assembly may result in a serious accident hazard!
- Additional Information
SKU 1581 OEM Part Number 13pinplug UPC No Brand Westfalia Country of Manufacture Germany Condition Brand new